Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas is...

 
At our house the very first Christmas decoration to come out, and the very last to be put away each year is my collection of nativities.  This is my favorite tradition.  I have a porcelin nativity, one made of rocks, one from Peru, one made of popcicle sticks, a stained glass set, and many more.  They never come out before Thanksgiving, but one year I left them out until Valentine's Day.  It brings great joy each time I walk down our hall and see this cabinet.
 


December can be crazy.  Some years I have let the craziness get the most of me and haven't enjoyed the journey to Christmas quite as much as I should.  This year I am determined not to let that happen.  There is a Christmas campaign our church is doing in New York City and it has made me stop and reflect on what Christmas really should be about...


 
This Christmas initiative includes billboards (like this one at Time Square) and advertising on buses and taxi cabs reminding people what Christmas really is. Christmas is family, Christmas is service, Christmas is love, Christmas is Jesus Christ. 
 
It's not only people in New York City that need to be reminded of that.  Thanks to this campaign I am making sure each day to take the time to ponder the meaning and message of this sacred season.
 
There is also a sweet video of the nativity that is unlisted on youtube, so I haven't been able to upload it,  but can be found here http://mormon.org/christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment