Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Unexpected

A long time ago, when I was really young and unemployed, an application for a credit card came in the mail addressed to me. Not to Ray & I together, just me! I was surprised because I had no established credit and the only way I would qualify for any kind of a loan would have been with Ray. So after reading the small print and making sure there were no fees or hidden catches, I laughed as I filled that application out listing my occupation as homemaker and my annual income as $0. I thought I’d show them for wasting their time sending applications to people who couldn’t qualify, and I just knew they would have to send me back a letter saying my application had been denied. That’s not what happened though…a week or so later my credit card came in the mail with a $5000 limit!


I tell this because a few months ago I was in that same “I’m going to show them” mindset. An application for AARP (American Association of Retire Persons) came in the mail. I thought it was hilarious that, at our age, we were being “invited” to join that organization. Again, reading the small print, I decided to send in the application because of the hotel discounts you could receive with the membership. But what I was really thinking as I filled out that application was, “Won’t that be funny when I present the AARP card and the hotel clerks will tell us how we couldn’t possibly be old enough to be members of AARP!”


Well, I’ve used the card several times now and have gotten a $10 discount each night we’ve stayed in a hotel, which is really nice, yet I’m kind of annoyed that not once has any clerk made the “you can’t really be that old” comment. It’s not been as funny as I thought it was going to be…

No comments:

Post a Comment