Monday, July 23, 2012

It's a Lost Art


Today a small miracle happened.  There in my mailbox amongst all the junk was a handwritten note.  It was a thank you note from a young man and his new bride.  It brought a smile to my face.

This may not seem like a big deal, but it is.  You see, many couples seem to have forgotten how to say thanks-"Thanks for taking time out of your busy life to share our special day, thanks for spending your hard earned money on a gift for us, thanks for being a good friend, thanks for sending a gift even when you weren’t able to come".
Most young people, I am sure, had parents who taught them proper etiquette. So what exactly is their excuse?  Is their newlywed life really that busy?  Did they not like the gift?  Are stamps too expensive? 

In the last year I've done a little unscientific research.  I paid attention to every wedding thank you note we received.  At the end of one year I discovered that I could count them all on one hand.    Mind you, in Utah, we get invited to and send gifts to  A LOT of wedding receptions, so that is really not impressive. 
Okay, maybe I’m old fashioned, but is it really too much to expect a thank you?  I would like to even be so bold as to suggest that couples should limit their guest list to the number of people they will be able to properly thank.  Maybe that’s being a little too harsh.  After all, in the Bible only one of the ten came back to say thank you, so maybe I should be thinking that one in five is actually pretty good. 

Anyway, kudos to the classy couple who sent the note in the mail today.

No comments:

Post a Comment