Friday, July 27, 2012

The Most Important Thing is to Have Fought Well


This past few weeks I have reflected on the Olympics and remember back to when I became hooked on watching them.  It was 1976.  These were the games when 14-year-old Nadia Comaneci caught everyone's attention by scoring perfect 10's in gymnastics.  I became interested in Nadia, not because of how she could maneuver her body into almost impossible positions, but because we were close in age and I became intrigued when I heard how she had sacrificed pretty much all of her short life to pursue her dreams as an Olympian.  I think hearing her story made me believe you could do anything if you wanted something bad enough.

This year I have anticipated watching the summer Olympics for the last several months.  Now that they are here, Ray and I will find ourselves glued to the television, especially interested in the human interest stories of the people who will capture our hearts these next two weeks. 

We always think that athletes competing at the games go there with the goal of bringing home the gold, but the Olympic creed gives the Olympics more significance than the pursuit of gold.  It reads, "The most important thing in the Olympic games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle.  The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well."

I can't wait to begin watching the games tonight and see those who succeed, but what I look forward to even more is hearing the stories of those lesser known nations, like Laos, who in every event will likely come in almost last.  I have no doubt they understand the Olympic creed better than any other athletes at the games.  They know that the most important thing is not to win, but to take part and to have fought well. 

I think we could all learn a thing or two from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment