Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Heist


Someone stole ALL of the pumpkins from our street last weekend-4 days before Halloween! What’s up with that?  In the past you’ve only had to worry about bringing in your jack-o-lantern early on Halloween night if you didn’t want it hauled off.  

I am pretty sure whoever took that 30 pound pumpkin off our porch must have needed it more than we did.  I was even a little relieved when I realized that meant I wouldn’t have to spend an evening scooping all those pumpkin guts or come up with a creative way to carve it.   I bought that pumpkin not because I love Halloween, but because it seemed the right thing to do.   That’s what grownups do.  Sometimes they pretend to love a holiday even when they don’t.  My kids would have been so proud.

This reminds me of another Halloween when the kids were young and we had the coolest pumpkins ever.  We had turned our pumpkins into a perfectly stacked jack-o-lantern totem pole.   It was awesome!  As a matter of fact it was so awesome someone snuck it off our porch prematurely that Halloween too.  We lit it and set it out when the first trick or treaters arrived and our pumpkin stack disappeared within a few minutes.  It was there when we answered the door and then one or two of minutes later when the next group rang the doorbell it was gone.  Only that time we were sad to lose our pumpkins.

So remember when you drive through a neighborhood tonight and it looks like a bunch of Halloween Scrooges live there because there are no jack-o- lanterns, don’t judge them.  Some pumpkin burglars are probably to blame.

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud :) I can't believe someone stole all of the pumpkins in the neighborhood.... that's so sad!

    ReplyDelete