Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fools, I Meant Twenty not Two!


He tricked me. I was misled when Ray accepted a job at the hospital in Roosevelt. He told me it was temporary and we would stay two or three years at most. While I was excited about the opportunity for Ray, I wasn’t exactly thrilled about living in Roosevelt. I was somewhat embarrassed when I told my coworkers where we were moving, because after all, who dreams of moving to the Uintah Basin? So I had to convince myself we could be happy anywhere for just two years.


That was in April 1992! I was thinking about this the other day and I never ever would have believed that we’d stay here this long. At the time, had I known he meant 20 years, I am not sure I would have been so agreeable.


I will admit there are still things that I can hardly stand about Roosevelt: the bitter cold winters, the lack of good produce, and how far away our family is. But there are more things that I love: the people, nearby boating lakes, no traffic congestion, and being able to see the stars clearly at night.


We have found ourselves spending more and more time in downtown Salt Lake City recently and there is an energy there that I love, but there are just some really cool experiences that you can only have living in a small town.


Where else would you have a mail carrier who calls your house early in the morning telling you that a mission call arrived and would you like to come and pick it up at the post office instead of waiting to have it delivered? Where else can your daughter get pulled over by an officer on the way to early morning institute, only to have the officer scrape the frost off the windows for her? Where else can you go boating on the morning of the Fourth of July and have the entire lake to yourself for an hour or two?


While I sometimes wonder what we may have missed out on by not living in Salt Lake all these years, I really have no regrets. Roosevelt is a great place to raise a family, and that’s no joke!

1 comment:

  1. It really is crazy how fast time flies - I sure am grateful we moved to Roosevelt :)

    ReplyDelete