Saturday, April 14, 2012

Vertically Challenged/Blessed


A week or so ago Ray and I were invited to a Jazz vs Kings game. This game was kind of a big deal because Jimmer Fredette now plays for the Sacramento Kings and a lot of people in Utah have this thing for Jimmer. We were going to be in Salt Lake anyway, so we thought it would be fun to go. Our seats just happened to be in the section where the former players and the Jazz wives sit and right smack in the seat in front of me, somewhat obstructing my view of the game, was Mark Eaton.


Now Mark Eaton played for the Jazz in the days of Stockton and Malone and is 7 foot 4 inches tall!  I couldn't help but wonder how uncomfortable it must be for him to be crammed in that seat with his legs sticking way out in the aisle.

It is no secret that I, along with the rest of my immediate family, would have loved to have been a little taller. As a matter of fact, Ray, in his teenage years, would have pretty much given anything for a few of Mark Eaton's inches. I, not quite that desperate, just would have liked it if my legs were long enough to not have to hem all my pants.

It has taken a lot of years for both of us to come to terms with our stature, but seeing Mark Eaton opened that wound once again. We even had a conversation after the game rehashing all the disadvantages we've experience being short, but in the end came to the conclusion that like most things, it's all relative. It is a good or bad thing, depending entirely on the situation.

I have been envious of taller people for a variety of reasons, but I am sure there are occasionally times when being vertically blessed doesn't seem like such a blessing. Whenever I am seated on an airplane and don't have to twist my legs up, I remind myself of that. That may be the only time when those of us who are vertically challenged can smile and feel that being short might even be considered a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment